Communication

Communication is defined in the dictionary as the imparting or interchange of thoughts, opinions, or information by speech, writing, or signs. The evolution of communication has come a long way from the cave paintings of prehistoric times to the sophisticated technology of smartphones.

Nowadays, we don’t just talk or write, we email, tweet, post, blog, poke, like, share, call, text, chat, video chat, you get the idea. There are so many ways to get in touch with someone that it is impossible to be left alone unless you happen to be cast away on an island that is not traceable by any satellite or radar.

In this modern world of communication, anyone can reach out to anyone at anytime, anywhere, just with a click or a swipe. It is only logical to conclude that no one will feel isolated, but the truth is far from that.

Despite the global reach that advance communication technology has put in our hands, many people are feeling lonelier than ever. You might have over 1,000 friends on your Facebook but how connected are you to each one of them? Almost every posting on social media are calculated to be attention grabbing – posting sexy pics, ridiculous stories, and even funny/inspiration anecdotes. But there is hardly any real connection to the person that sees or clicks like or shares the post.

Then, there is the ever widening generation gap between the younger generation and their parents. It is not an uncommon sight to see most children glued to the screens of their electronic devices almost all the time these days. Having a meal at the table is like eating in solitude. There is no fond exchange of stories or ‘how was your day’ conversations anymore. It is no wonder parents and children can never understand each other.

There are some people who might contradict this view by saying that they make it a point to talk to their kids face to face but it is getting increasingly hard to communicate in such a manner without all types of distractions (most electronic media) getting in the way. Even adults are finding it difficult to have a proper conversation these days as we get sucked into the vortex of electronic means to say what we want to say.

Over reliance in electronic media to do the ‘talking’ is turning many of us into ‘androids’ devoid of feelings or rather we are losing our ability to connect with another human being. Now, I hear some guys already saying that ‘talking’ is a girl thing, but really it’s a human thing. In ‘talking’, I don’t just mean exchanging of words but really mean what you say and making a connection to another person so that they feel something, and that they are not alone in this great big world. There is no electronic device out there that can replace this ‘human’ touch.

So, when was the last time you had a heart-felt conversation with someone you cared about face to face? You might save a life by doing so.

15 Comments »

• Damyanti says:

Ah, the nostalgia of a heartfelt convo. I’ve been having a few lately, and agree with each word of your post.

Damyanti
    Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2014

Twitter: @damyantig
    #atozchallenge

• Angie says:

Thank you. Yes, I think the younger generation don’t have that. Much of their conversations are click, tab, send. Even as parents, sometimes, that’s the only way we can get through to them. That’s progress but really regress in connecting to each other. Btw, do you have a FB page i can like? can’t seem to like the one linked to your blog.

• Vikki says:

Great “C” post :)

God luck with the rest of the challenge x

• Bish Denham says:

Electronic devises can’t hug you.

• anna says:

One thing I like about technology is that I have been able to create meaningful friendships with people over FB or over their blogs. That’s definitly a plus!
    But it still comes back to being intentional about it – constantly reaching out to them over messages, comments, and shared projects (like this!)
    It’s not perfect. But it has helped me discover unexpected friendships in unexpected places!

• Angie says:

Hi Anna, good point there. I think my post is more on a personal level of relationships like family members or lovers. But you made about a good point about developing international friendship :)

• Visiting on day 3 of the #atozchallenge with all my fellow writers. I appreciate all the hard work it takes to participate. I hope you make many new blogging friends.

• Amelia says:

On this topic, too often, I’ve seen couples in restaurants/ cafes NOT speak to one another other than the cursory ‘ya’, ‘no’ and instead focus on their phones either on FB or tweeting, etc…for the length of the meal, they do not converse! This irks me only because from my POV, they have someone special in their life to share meals with and there are others who don’t, getting the opportunity to share meals with that someone special is a gift.

• Angie says:

That’s a very bad habit actually. My husband does that sometimes and I always try to ‘distract’ him so that at least the conversation is kept flowing. Besides, that’s the few moments when we really get to talk and I feel the same way you do but sadly I see this a lot theses days. :(

• Kristen Dyrr says:

I definitely have more of a problem communicating online than I do in person. I even have people trying to begin relationships with me online, which I find very weird. How can I possibly trust somebody I’ve never even met (as in, met for real, in person)? The even weirder part is that I’m a techie… but, I’m an old-school techie. I got my Computer Engineering degree back in 1998, before there was social media. And we didn’t even use computers at all in high school, except for two classes. So, it’s definitely weird meeting techies these days who think I’m the weird one! :)

Random Musings from the KristenHead — C is for ‘Copper’ and Cats (and More Cats)

• Angie says:

haha, that’s quite funny. I can relate to that. I’m not a techie but imagine my son thinking that I am weird cos I am not as skilled in online medium even though I have more knowledge than he has.